Monday 1 August 2011

Mama Mia here I go again...Days 3 & 4...

Yesterday I installed the tile.  

I took a bit of a break last night and watched Mama Mia with a friend.  I have a love of the cheesy musicals and the Abba.  A little dose of fun and friendship was exactly what I needed after a lot of hard work over Fri, Sat & Sun.  

Today I tackled the worst job of any reno project - painting the ceiling.  I can't tell you how much I dislike painting ceilings...well I guess I can, but will you listen?  Will you understand?  Yuck yuck yuck.  The one thing that makes it a little more bearable is that fantastic smart paint that goes on light pink, allowing you to see where you painted, and dries crisp white.  

I have a few tips for the diyr's out there.  
1) I used a product called Acoustic Patch by Homax, it is terrible.  It is a patching product that comes in a spray can for patching 'popcorn' ceilings.  I had a spot over the shower that the ceiling texture had cracked and needed fixing.  I scraped the cracked spackle (cracked spackle... makes me giggle) off and then used this product.  It clogged in the can, it sprayed unevenly, it clumped, it was awful.  I was covered in the stuff when I was done.  I decided to paint anyway, thinking that it might possibly look better after I was done.  It doesn't.  I will have to re-stipple and re-paint that section.  
2) Another great diy tip - wrap your paint roller in a plastic grocery bag and you don't have to clean it.  I don't think I'd ever have the patience to clean a ceiling roller anyway but it saves having to buy another one.  Especially if you need to do a crackled spackle repair (can you tell I like the cracked spackle?) and repaint in a day or two.  If I think I won't use if for a few days I put it in the freezer, just remember to take it out about 12 hours or so before you want to paint again.  (but do not bake at 350).  This works with any brush or roller that you want to re-use.
3) I always paint the ceiling before the walls.  I don't get crazy concerned about getting the ceiling paint on the walls if I'm repainting the walls but I keep a wet rag handy to wipe off any really excess spills.  If you get a drip running down the wall, you will see it through the paint, so wipe it off.
4) Wear a painters hat - you don't need diy highlights
5) Play music you love and face your Waterloo

The painting process is never that long, it's all the prep that needs to take place before that is so time consuming.  Once I got going it only took 1 1/2 hours to paint the ceiling.

I also grouted the tile.  Mixing grout is a lot easier than mixing mortar.  Now I will wait a couple hours for it to dry and then wipe off all the haze on the tiles.  Best to leave it for 24 hours to completely dry before walking on the tiles.  


Grouting in progress.

Grouting complete.

I love it ...  I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment