Sunday 7 August 2011

Days 5 & 6

It isn't really only 5 days since I started the bathroom reno but my full-time job kept me from getting to much done in the bathroom this week.  On Saturday which was day 5 of the reno I painted the first coat on the walls.

This is the color, what do you think?  I'm really pleased with my patching job.  I didn't know if it would look really amateur but you can't tell where the patch is.  


The ceiling patch is a little more noticeable (at least to me).  I tried a different product.  It was a bucket of stipple made by Lepages.  It was much better to apply it using a sponge and being able to control where it was going.  The little pebbles in it that create the stipple weren't as large as the existing stipple so it's not quite a perfect match, however with a coat of paint today it isn't too bad.  If I was doing a ceiling where it would be more noticeable I think I would consult with a professional to find out what a better method would be.  

Today, which was reno day 6, I painted the second coat on the walls.  Painted the re-strippled ceiling that had the cracked spackle (just had to throw that in there), installed a new doorknob, put the baseboards back on and all of that took less time than cleaning out the filthy tub that the ....ahem...cracked spackle had fallen into.  

On the mirror saga there is some hope.  I found a discount mirror that was a thicker mirror than my original buy as well as less expensive (frugalista score) and the fellow at Crystal glass thinks he can cut the holes in it I need.  He told me he'd try to get it done for Saturday, but he didn't call.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he is able to cut it.  If it doesn't work I have found some mirrors that will fit between the sconces but it just won't be quite as trendy as I was hoping for.

The only things left to do are install the new toilet, the new faucet, the new vanity hardware, a transition between the hallway and the bathroom floor, the mirror and light fixtures, towel bars and shower curtain.  And a few finishing touches.

I highly recommend these great brushes called Eco-Brush.  You buy a handle and then the brush is sold as a refill.  They are one of the nicest paint brushes I have ever used.  I wash them and re-use them over and over and when they start losing their sharp edge I simply buy a refill.  They are far more economical than a really good brush so replacing a refill is not very costly.  I stopped using painters tape when I discovered these and I just cut in my edges by hand.  They really do create a nice sharp edge.  I also label my paint cans.  You will see that I wrote the room that I painted and the date on the can.  I always joke that my house used to be 1500 square feet but I've painted so often that it's down to 1400.  At one time I kind of just went with whatever color happened to suit me for a room but I'm more aware of being consistent with colours as I may at some point want to give up all of the snow shovelling and lawn mowing and I know that neutral is more sellable than anything too custom looking.  I also recommend these small paint samples.  I bought this one and kept the paint chip with all of the harmonious colors and taped it to the lid.  These sample paints are $5 and can save you a lot of money in the long run.  I loved this color called Cocoa Latte but it was simply too dark for such a small room that has no natural light.  Better to spend $5 for the tester that can be used to test another spot someday than to spend $40 for a gallon of paint to discover it just doesn't suit the room.

I think the next post will possibly be a finished bathroom.  I hope very much that the mirror works out the way I want it to.  Can't wait to show you the finished product!


No comments:

Post a Comment